PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Orphans need your love

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I was really touched by this blog/organization mentioned in Agape Press today. They try to minister to all these orphans all over the world, either through adoption programs or visiting orphanages in other countries.

We really don't have orphanages in the US anymore and I always think about all the children in the world who would love parents and all the couples in the US who are heartbroken over infertility and not being able to have children. For some, maybe this is a solution...

Angels from Abroad (http://www.angelsfromabroad.blogspot.com/)

Amanda Rockwell
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
This is absolutely amazing! I cannot have anymore children. I am only 24 and am so saddened that I have to go such a long time knowing I'm not able to have anymore. Of course I'm grateful for my 3, but it doesn't take away my "loss". I am defenitely thinking about adoption in the future and know I want a child from a different country. I will have to bookmark this!

Thanks!

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I feel for kids who are out there who need someone...it seems really hard to adopt overseas which is a shame since there are actually orphanages full of kids in some of these countries.

Marcie Reckinger
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow what an eye opener! Thank you for sharing-bookmarked this page too! (I'm always begging dh to let us adopt but we already have 4 kiddos and he says that's plenty-for me I would have 4 more if I could!)

justmp
07-20-2006, 04:58 AM
As an adoptive mommy of two wonderful kids from Russia, I THANK YOU for sharing this!!! :)

suvel
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Actually it can be quite easy to adopt from overseas. We have children from Korea, Viet Nam, Russia and Thailand. Not saying it doesn't take time and perseverance, but it's not "hard" per se.

If you want a newborn, we were able to get a 5 week old baby girl from our own state, and that's when we already had other children. If you are open to crossing racial lines and/or even minor special needs, that is a viable option. That little girl who weighed 2 lbs at birth is now a very healthy, active 7 year old! That is a much cheaper option too (hate to break it down like that, it sounds crass, but that is reality for many couples).

I don't pretend to think it's "the same" as having biological children (at least not for me), but it is indeed an option. I wouldn't trade any of my children for anything...most days...haha...

Inkspots
07-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Where does one start for international adoptions? we've been thinking about it but I'd have no idea where to even begin.

suvel
07-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Jamie,

You can start your journey here:

http://precious.org/

There are lots of links to follow from there. It's good to sign up for a few message boards pertaining to int'l adoption, since the people on those tend to have the latest info (it changes from month to month sometimes!). Good luck to you!

mlewis
07-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks for sharing! As an adoptive mom to a beautiful boy from Korea, I'm a huge advocate of adoption! While it's hard to adopt period, it's actually easier to adopt overseas than in the U.S. - lots of paperwork, patience and money is what it boils down to.

Inkspots
07-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info. :D

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I always heard that to adopt you have to pay huge sums of money, like $20,000 - I don't know if that applies to just US or international. There are so many kids orphaned by AIDs, the hurricanes and disasters and stuff, it seems like they would want to make it accessible...

I don't know how much all that fertility treatment costs though so maybe it's not so much in comparison...

mmy2vce
07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
We really don't have orphanages in the US anymore

Actually, we do have orphanages here in the US... The Baptist Children's Village (http://www.baptistchildrensvillage.com/)...I went to school with a lot of these children as they were tiered for our school district at the time. Although a lot of children are able to be placed in foster homes, there are not always homes available to the children so they are set up in orphanages in specific areas until a home can be found for them. I was a foster child until the age of 10 when my father remarried and was able to take better care of us, I thank God for my foster mother because without her love and support there is no telling what type of person my younger brother and I would have turned into...

There is a report that comes on every Wednesday and Sunday on the news in the DC area regarding what they call "Wednesday's Child" and it is sponsored by Freddie Mac. They are trying to find loving homes for all these children...US Children need your help too... the link for Wednesday's Child is here Wednesday's Child (http://adopt.org/wednesdayschild/home/wed-child-page.htm)

Just an FYI...

Amanda Rockwell
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Marie-

I am SO glad you were placed back with your father! What a relief that must have been for both of you. I'm sure it was hard to leave your foster home too, being that they were good to you.

Christine Borgfeld
07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I friend of mine adopted a little girl from China last year. It is expensive and cost will vary depending on the country you go to. You pay the adoption service, legal stuff, plus travel expenses to go get them. I think its worth it, and would consider it myself.

Stephanie
07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't forget there are tax credits for adopting...I think it's a $10K tax credit. Plus many larger companies have plans to financially help their employees with adopting.

With the tax credit it is comparable to the cost of IVF treatment. Without insurance coverage IVF is about $10K, depending on where you are and who your dr is etc. But this gives you some kind of reference.

Some people are even adopting frozen embryos that might otherwise be discarded. I have an acquaintance going through this process right now because she doesn't want to "miss out" on being pregnant and bonding with a child throughout a pregnancy, etc.

There are so many options to consider and so many children (all around the world, here at home, sitting in "freezers") that need and deserve loving homes and parents.

:) :) :) :)