Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > Scrap Talk

Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Default Anyone use Picasa to organize & tag their digi-goodies?

"Back in the day," I won a copy of and used ACDSee.

I haven't been scrapping much - the occasional Christmas card, invitation, etc., but not with the vigor that I was scrapping a couple of years ago (evident in my gallery ... LOL).

Well, I kept *acquiring* digi-goodies, of course. One cannot just pass over yummy stuff - even if you're not USING it. And, now every time that I start a project, I don't know where to start. I used to kind of *KNOW* where everything was (based on designer, etc.), but my memory isn't serving me after this long sabbatical.

So, yesterday I began my 2 week Spring Break (I teach 5th grade) and decided that I'd put in a bunch of time organizing my stuff. I tried to open up ACDSee... and... fail. "Something" is missing. It suggested I reinstall. Well, I downloaded ACDSee when I won it, so... yah.

I investigated Picasa's ability to tag images (found how to include .png files in the searches), and found it to be fairly simple. I use Picasa for general organization and basic editing anyway, so I'm fairly comfortable with it. I tagged a bunch of ribbon & lace last night....

So ... my question is: Does anyone else use Picasa as an organizing tool? Do you have any tips for me before I dive in too deep?

Chele :-)
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM

profile gallery send pm

I have used Picasa for organizing my stash and my photos
I had trouble sometimes viewing .png files, but the search feature worked great for me.
The downside was when I got behind and then tagging and organizing became a huge task.
I did one of the recent upgrades and now it doesn't allow me to insert a thumb drive or my camera's SD card and have it recognized by Picasa -- in so far as "starring" an item. I used to be able to take a quick glance at my photos, star the ones I was going to send to family or scrap with right away and then I could them export (and shrink) just those to a different folder.
I haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish this with the upgrade
So I dont use it as much for organization

I still use Picase for quick and easy photo adjustments though

my advice is to keep up with the tagging and organizing, because even after a few months, it gets really hard to get up to date
once I back up my files and have the HD pretty clean, I am going to start again.
I put in descriptions like color, element type, template, alpha etc.
And then I used a filing system similar to how I keep my scrapping files
Designer, commercial use, templates, QP Albums

the one thing I really found difficult was when somehow the date info got lost and things will get put in crazy dates like 2000
for being a free program, I think it can be an awesome tool

Last edited by elenasworld; 03-27-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:33 PM

profile gallery send pm

I use Picasa to organize my digital stash - not really for pictures, though. So far I've really only been tagging the previews which makes it a lot more manageable and I can still find stuff pretty easily.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Oooh... tagging the previews is a good idea.

But, I think a lot of my stash includes stuff that came out before designers were putting previews in their files....

Maybe my newer stuff I'll tag that way, tho!

Thanks for the input!

Chele :-)
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM

profile gallery send pm

I used Picasa for a while to tag all of the stuff in my kits, but then when I started buying more and more kits, it just became a huge hassle. One really nice thing about Picasa though is that it'll recognize color in images. It's not always accurate, but if your stuff has good file names (like paper with the word "paper" in the file name) then it's nice because you can search "red paper" and it'll still come up with your red papers if the file names are correct. It's very easy to tag, but I got sick of doing it so now i just search and whatever comes up is good enough lol. Tagging the previews though is a great idea - I might just do that!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 PM

profile gallery send pm

I do and am looking for something better. It takes a HUGE amount of time as I label each and every element/paper- plus its bogging down with the amount of stuff I have labeled. I think it would work great for tagging previews or for a smaller stash. :) And it is free! Free is hard to beat. However, I'd be willing to pay if there was an easier way to label and organize- so if anyone has suggestions please let me know!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM

profile gallery send pm

I just tag previews with things I like in the kit making sure I include the designer and store purhased from...
I will also tag things that I use alot from kits that are really versatile like
stitches, staples and basic papers such as kraft.

It really just depends on how detailed ya wanna get...I don't so It stays easy for me.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Diamond Member
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via MSN to mshanhun Send a message via Yahoo to mshanhun Send a message via Skype™ to mshanhun

I use Photoshop Elements for my scrapping stuff & Picasa for my photos.

I tag the ppl in the photos and the location they were taken using tags in Picasa.

For scrapping stuff I tag them all in PSE. I'm pretty sure you can only tag JPGs in Picasa, not pngs. So that doesn't really work for elements as they are PNGS.

There are a few hints on organising your stash here:
thedailydigi.com

Plus heaps of comments with tips as well!

Good luck with the organisation

About Melissa Shanhun
Melissa Shanhun is a Aussie mum of three and avid digital scrapbooker. She loves to show others how fun and easy it can be to record those memories with tech tools like Photoshop Elements.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via MSN to Just Plain Kristi Send a message via Yahoo to Just Plain Kristi

no, picasa can tag png's but not psd's or other types like styles, shapes, brushes, etc. ACDSee tags them all, even fonts.

The best free tagging program I've looked at so far is Windows Live Photo Gallery. It's a bit rough and not nearly as powerful as ACDSee but my main issue with it is the lack of a backup system or embedding method to save the tagging info. Seem like a waste of effort and time if you can lose it all in one crash (yeah, I'm paranoid )

Kristi

Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via MSN to jannylynn Send a message via Yahoo to jannylynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn33199 View Post
I do and am looking for something better. It takes a HUGE amount of time as I label each and every element/paper- plus its bogging down with the amount of stuff I have labeled. I think it would work great for tagging previews or for a smaller stash. :) And it is free! Free is hard to beat. However, I'd be willing to pay if there was an easier way to label and organize- so if anyone has suggestions please let me know!
As time goes on, I become more and more of a fan for Windows Live Photo Gallery.

1. retains tags for .pngs files
2. retains tags going from computer to computer. Great if you have a laptop and a desktop.
3. FREE FREE FREE!!!
4. Works seemlessly with Windows. No orphan files if you move something outside the program.
5. It has NEVER crashed on me and doesn't bog down my computers.
6. Easy uploads to facebook!

Tagging is still a pain but I don't think anything is going to make that easier!