Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > Scrap Talk

Old 12-03-2017, 04:32 PM

profile gallery send pm

Default What happened to digital scrapping?

I was quite an active digital scrapper until 5-6 years ago. I slowly just lost my wish to scrapbook anymore... I felt like digital scrapping slowly changed from making layouts telling a story with words, pictures and all the other stuff we used to enhance them,to be more about editing images and the technical part of it. The layouts who was most appreciated in this community suddenly told me less of a story. And even though they were impressive and cool, I learned almost nothing about the story behind them. Well to each their own. I wasn't happy with the way digiscrapping seemed to be going, and I slowly found other hobbies

But I missed it.. And every once in a while I search the internet for digiscrapping the way I liked it. I wish I could show you some examples from DST, but they seem to be gone..? I'm not able to see them anyways.

What happened to digiscrapping? Is there anyone who miss the old school digital scrapping like me? Is there anywhere out there that still practice this kind of digiscrapping or is it just about cutting objects out of images and putting them in another background all around? I tries searching.. But it almost looks dead around the old community.. Sad really.

And does anyone now of a way to be able to see my own and others old layouts at the gallery? Are the truly lost forever? 😱
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

I can totally relate to what you're saying and I believe there are still people out there who feel the same as you (including me). For me, it's always been about the story and the memory. As a matter of fact, I've actually 're-scrapped' layouts that don't 'match' the memory (does that make sense?). I was very active for a while and I'm trying to get back into it but most of the communities that I used to be a part of are gone.

However, there are still some very active communities that remind me of the 'old' days With lots of participation and challenges. I haven't yet decided where to rebuild my galleries, but I definitely keep coming back to DST to see what's going on here. Although it's not like it used to be, there's still a lot of layouts posted and people checking it out each day. Here are the main things I'm looking for:

-Open Gallery: I want to be able to post layouts with any products
-Active Community: both Gallery/Forum (with people commenting on layouts)
-Monthly Challenges

I put together a pinterest board with links to some of the places (new and old) that are active. I'm watching the activity and I'm planning to select 1 or 2 communities to join next year. I don't have time to build a bunch of galleries. I just want to be a part of a real community where people care about each other and support one another. Maybe all the folks that feel like us will 'land' at the same place!

Here's the 'Digital Scrapbook Sites' board: https://www.pinterest.com/cafeKcreat...rapbook-sites/

Hope this is helpful to you in some way!
Karen

Publications:
Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM
DST Diamond Member
DST Moderator

profile gallery send pm

Many things have changed in the industry and many sites are now closed. However there are still some very friendly digiscrap communities around. A couple of my favorite are:
GingerScraps
The Digi Chick
Pickleberry Pop
Sweet Shoppe

There are many designer and site groups on Facebook.

All types of styles are there.
m
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

I found this forum and it looks wonderful. There isn't a store so you can use any products. No CT dumping and for every layout you upload you have to make 2 comments on others. Great idea. https://www.justartscrapbooking.com/
Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 AM

profile gallery send pm

I know this is an old thread, but it speaks to my unhappiness. I really miss the 'good old days'

Blogs, Facebook groups, Pinterest, etc., have taken over, but I still feel the old forum format with gallery works best for this hobby. I like challenges and discussions in thread format. Challenges are responsible for some of my best 'story layouts'

Another thing that intimidates me a bit is the move toward art vs the storytelling layout. A lot of sites are about the creation of art - something I'm neither good at nor interested in - although there is no getting around the talent these artists are sharing with us.

Scrapping, for me, has always been about the story (told with photos in a fun/clever/pretty format) and preserving memories. Gee I miss seeing the 'stories.'

Oh well.

Last edited by cats4jan; 05-06-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats4jan View Post
I know this is an old thread, but it speaks to my unhappiness. I really miss the 'good old days'

Blogs, Facebook groups, Pinterest, etc., have taken over, but I still feel the old forum format with gallery works best for this hobby. I like challenges and discussions in thread format. Challenges are responsible for some of my best 'story layouts'

Another thing that intimidates me a bit is the move toward art vs the storytelling layout. A lot of sites are about the creation of art - something I'm neither good at nor interested in - although there is no getting around the talent these artists are sharing with us.

Scrapping, for me, has always been about the story (told with photos in a fun/clever/pretty format) and preserving memories. Gee I miss seeing the 'stories.'

Oh well.
Jan, I feel the same way. I want to know the story behind the photo. Why is this photo special to the scrapper? Why did you want to scrap this memory?

Maybe it's just me, but I do not care for the layouts using stock photos.

My DST gallery My Blog