Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > NSBR Chatter

Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 PM

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via AIM to MommaChocoLatte Send a message via MSN to MommaChocoLatte Send a message via Yahoo to MommaChocoLatte
Default Calling All Freezer Cookers!

My mom and I are going to be making up 2 wks worth of dinners as a gift for my brother and SIL when they bring my new niece home from the hospital (due 12/17) and we are trying to compile some easy freezable recipes so we know what to shop for.

We are definately going to do a lasagna but need more ideas. Can you post your favorite, tried n true recipes for me?

We just need some basic meals, nothing too fancy. Also, my brother has Crohn's Disease so anything spicy or with corn products are out. Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Users

profile gallery send pm

will be watching this thread as I need to get some easy meals ready for when our bundle arrives :) dh will be too busy to cook as I will be napping LOL

Blog~~

Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

I use this one all the time. For us, it makes about 3 batches (only two of us eat this), so I freeze the rest and just bake up some more chicken next time we're in the mood for these!. I do use canned tomatillos rather than fresh because they're just better here. I also substitue diced green chilis for the jalepeno. That brings the actual spice factor to zero. They're just very flavorful.

Quote:
Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa:
1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole
4 garlic cloves
2 jalapeños (or 1 can diced green chilis)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
½ lime, juiced

Enchiladas:
Extra-virgin olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock, store bought
Chopped cilantro leaves
1 deli roasted chicken (about 3 pounds), boned, meat shredded (or 4-6 chicken breasts baked at 350° for 30 minutes or until done)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 large flour tortillas
½ pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 cups sour cream
Chopped tomatoes and cilantro leaves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

On a baking tray or in glass baking dish, roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeños for 30-45 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor. Add the cumin, salt and cilantro and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.

Meanwhile heat a 2 count of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute. Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn then gradually add the chicken stock to make a veloute. Continue stirring over a low simmer until the flour cooks and the liquid thickens. Turn off the heat, add half of the roasted tomatillo chile salsa, some additional fresh chopped cilantro and fold in the shredded chicken meat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Change the temperature of the oven to 400°F and begin assembling the dish. Take a large baking dish and smear the bottom with some of the reserved tomatillo salsa. Now take the flour tortillas and briefly flash them over the stove-top flame (or put them briefly under the broiler if using an electric stove). Using a shallow bowl, coat each tortilla lightly with the reserved salsa mix. Put a scoop of the shredded chicken-enchilada mix on top of the tortilla followed by a sprinkle of the shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla over the filling and roll like a cigar to enclose it. Using a spatula place the tortillas in the baking dish and continue to do the same with all the tortillas. Finally pour over some more of the salsa and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cracked on top. Garnish, cilantro and tomato.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Frozen Assets Yahoo Group. I placed myself on no mail for awhile, but when I used to get the emails there are a lot of recipes people shared that they've tried. And I remember a couple of times people would place their ENTIRE shopping and recipe list for their weekend OAMC session.

~~~> Click HERE for a good time <~~~
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via AIM to MommaChocoLatte Send a message via MSN to MommaChocoLatte Send a message via Yahoo to MommaChocoLatte

Oh cool! Thanks Karen.

And that sounds yummy Leila, thank you!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via MSN to reednowensmommy Send a message via Yahoo to reednowensmommy

Okay, so I haven't actually gotten around to trying freezer cooking yet (Bad Steph! Bad! lol) but this website sounded helpful:

http://www.momsbudget.com/freezercooking/index.html

Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM

profile gallery send pm

awesome, thanks Steph!!

I've done it a few times.. just not as regularly as I would like ;(
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM

profile gallery send pm

Blythe, I forgot to say that I only use about ½ of the can of green chilis. Any more than that and it seems to give the sauce an unpleasant, bitter taste.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 PM

profile gallery send pm

I dont have a recipe off the top of my head, but beef stroganof is a good freezable meal. We had someone make it for us when my mom went through her first round of chemo when I was in high school. It was really good.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Blythe, I forgot to say that I only use about ½ of the can of green chilis. Any more than that and it seems to give the sauce an unpleasant, bitter taste.
Great thanks!!