Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > Scrap Talk

Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM

profile gallery send pm

Default Creating without Photoshop

I'm new to digiscrapping...or rather I think it's something I have been doing without knowing it has a name and a whole community of creators.

I saw on this blog some beautiful templates from Yin for multiple photos I thought I could use for my annual family calendar.

Can I use these without Photoshop? Is there any other suggested software?
Can I use any templates without Photoshop?
Are there digiscrappers who do not use Photoshop?

Thanks - I really look forward to your replies. Photoshop is waaay out of my budget, and I have already used the free trial.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM

profile gallery send pm

Photoshop Elements 11. You can get it for $49.99 from Costco this month. I believe that Amazon has also had it on sale this week for a similar price. It is regularly about $99, so even then still considerably cheaper than full Photoshop. With Photoshop Elements, you should be able to accomplish pretty much whatever you want. There are certainly some things that you can't do without the full version, but most people get along just fine with PSE11. If you find you need Photoshop later, there are sometimes sales for Elements users if you pay close attention.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Diamond Member
DST Moderator
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

Paintshop pro also opens all the PSD files, including Yin`s templates. It is on special now for $59.99. You can use my affiliate link HERE if you want. You can also just download the trial version and test it for 30 days. I also have a project tutorial to help you get started with this program if it is new to you, and it is all free HERE.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 AM
DST Insider Staff
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

I second PSE11 if you can afford it (no offense, Cassel!) If you truly cannot afford anything for software, you can try GIMP. It works much like photoshop, but with limits. It will open .psd files (those layered templates) and also save in the .psd format in case you want to change something out later. There are tutorials available for it if you google. But if you want to continue to scrap things with it, I'd go ahead and get PSE if you can!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 AM

profile gallery send pm

I scrapped for years with PSP (Paint Shop Pro). And there are still some things I think PSP does better than PSE or even PS.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM
DST Insider Staff
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

There are, Maggie! Cassel's making me re-visit PSP and I'm learning lots of things. I can see keeping it around to do certain things, especially since I can save as a .psd file then take it into PS to finish :)

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Design Member

profile gallery send pm

I started out using and designing in Paint Shop Pro for many years! I would recommend that, especially if you can't afford photoshop. I found PSP very easy and user-friendly.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Design Member
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

I recommend Photoshop Elements to newcomers. That way if you fall in love with the hobby and some day want to upgrade to the full Photoshop, you'll already be familiar with Adobe's way of doing things.

Elements can do 95% of what most digiscrappers want to do and at the sale price of $50 at Costco/Amazon right now, it's a great, great deal.

Now, to answer your original question, you CAN digiscrap without any of these programs. If you have any program that can handle PNG files and JPG file and allows layers and drop shadows, you can use it. Many computers already come with SOMETHING installed that they can use.

The PSD templates would be the one thing that those programs would probably not open though. You'd need Photoshop, Elements or PSP to open those. PSP can open PSD files, but not layered TIF templates. Photoshop and Elements can open PSD and TIF templates.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
DST Gold Member

profile gallery send pm

good golly, but I used power point for 3 years, never even knew that there was a digital world out there...lol
but I am an Adobe gal, and loved elements, and am totally over the moon for the creative Suite full blown all the bells and whistles...
and Yin's Templates are nothing short of fabulous! I fill pages and pages of our yearbooks with help from her templates.
I so recommend PS-elements, and you can get a 30 day trial to see if you will use it...I bet you will!
and welcome to the best addiction!

My Blog
Living life to the fullest!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

I've used PSE for a long time. Ready to upgrade to version 11 (for Christmas I hope!) The one thing I love about it?? You can ask questions, and there are so many users, you're going to get a good answer! There are plenty of free tutorials around, and U-tube videos to help out, and LOTS of online classes too!