Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > NSBR Chatter

Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Send a message via Yahoo to Darcy Baldwin
Default If you're on claritin, can you take a cold medicine?

Well, actually, my oldest (7 and the size of a 9 yo) is on claritin daily (the generic version). He takes it at night so it will still be fully effective in the mornings which seem to be his worse allergy time - coughing/sneezing). But his allergies seems to be developing into a cold now. His cough is now wet as opposed to the dry nagging cough he has.

Can he have a decongestant on top of the claritin? I'd like to help relieve his cough. Our PED doesn't answer any questions unless emergencies until 9AM. I will probably not be sending him to Vacation Bible School this morning, but would still like to relieve his cough if it's safe. We typically don't medicate colds with anything other than Vicks vap-o-rub, but his nose isn't congested, it's just this cough that is driving him crazy.

STORE | PERSONAL BLOG | DESIGN BLOG | TOU
Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Registered Users

profile gallery send pm

As long as there is not an antihistamine in it you will be fine!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 AM

profile gallery send pm

Hi Darcy, I'm a pharmacist, but I'm in Australia where our brand names are different lol.... just googled Claritin and I am assuming the drug name is Loratadine... Yes he will be fine to have a cough or cold product, just get an antihistamine free one.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

yes, Jodie, Loratadine is the one we use, and I just forgot how to spell it LOL.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 AM
DST Gold Member
Design Member

profile gallery products send pm

Home Store:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin (aslansavz) View Post
Well, actually, my oldest (7 and the size of a 9 yo) is on claritin daily (the generic version). He takes it at night so it will still be fully effective in the mornings which seem to be his worse allergy time - coughing/sneezing). But his allergies seems to be developing into a cold now. His cough is now wet as opposed to the dry nagging cough he has.

Can he have a decongestant on top of the claritin? I'd like to help relieve his cough. Our PED doesn't answer any questions unless emergencies until 9AM. I will probably not be sending him to Vacation Bible School this morning, but would still like to relieve his cough if it's safe. We typically don't medicate colds with anything other than Vicks vap-o-rub, but his nose isn't congested, it's just this cough that is driving him crazy.
Why not try the Claritin D? It has the decongestant pseudonephedrine (sp?) in it.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Mikki
Most days he just doesn't need the D, and it's way more expensive for us. And we'd like not to over medicate him. The Claritin seems to be working fine most of the time...but with our wacky weather the last two weeks - very wet, not hot, and the mold and spores are raging - which is very untypical for our area this time of year - and he's reacting to that now.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

sorry to hear about your little guy. My allergies have been acting up WAY worse than usual this year (it's been at least five years since they've been this bad). I've been taking Claritin-D (generic version) and it has been taming the post nasal drip (ewww) which, in turn, minimizes/eliminates the coughing. So, I think you'll have luck with the decongestant. Hope he feels better!!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
DST CT Member

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin (aslansavz) View Post
Mikki
Most days he just doesn't need the D, and it's way more expensive for us. And we'd like not to over medicate him. The Claritin seems to be working fine most of the time...but with our wacky weather the last two weeks - very wet, not hot, and the mold and spores are raging - which is very untypical for our area this time of year - and he's reacting to that now.
My son (15) and I have to take the Claritin D every day. His post nasal drip make him start couging, and then it can get very bad for him. He missed so many end of the school year parties until I finally had a doctor tell me what was going on!! Poor guy...he'd get so sick every May/June/July. I get mine at Costco, and I get their brand of it Allerclear D. It only costs me $5 for 15 pills. My dh goes with me, and we can each buy a box...two in a 30 day period. They're very strict about it, but at least I can afford it!!!

Creating for Lauren Grier, Darcy Baldwin, Jenn Barrette, Fizzy Pop Designs, Polly & Rufus Designs, and The Lilypad.