Go Back   DigiShopTalk Forums > Community > NSBR Chatter

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Default NSBR: is it possible to pull a muscle around your collar bone?

Argh!

I was getting into my car this evening when I suddenly had a really horrible pain in the center of my chest...above my breasts but just below my collar bone. It felt like a horrible crushing weight...like I was being sat on...& then almost like a really sore bruise (if that makes sense...but far worse than any bruise I've ever had).

My first thought was heart attack...except it was in the wrong place & had other things associated with it that made me think it was a pulled muscle. Like, it's been sore for nearly 4 hours now & certain positions make it worse (raising my right arm above my head...lifting my heffalump of a one year old baby...moving, etc). It also hurts to touch the area. I can breathe easily now but was slightly short of breath on the (short) way home.

Are there any muscles in there that I may have pulled? Has anyone been in the same position? If I'm not feeling better tomorrow, I'll go to the Dr...but for now I'm pretty uncomfy

Thanks for any advice...

Old 12-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm no doctor, but I have a lot of problems with chronic tendonitis in my rotator cuff, so I find that leads to a lot of other aches and pains in the general area, like weird muscle pulls. I assume it's because I unconsciously hold my right arm different at times because of it, so I'm in slightly awkward positions when I do simple things that shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, what all my rambling is leading up to is that I can totally relate to the pain you're describing. It sounds a lot like what's happened to me on a couple occasions. For me it's not been a problem and seems to heal up quite readily. Do try to make sure there's nothing else going on, though, and you should look into it if it persists.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Well...I woke up this morning & I'm still in a lot of pain. I feel like my chest is on fire & it hurts to move Who'd have thought getting into you car could cause such pain!!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 PM

profile gallery send pm

I hope you can get to the doctor today! Sorry you are in so much pain. Oh and I have hurt myself getting into the car too LOL

Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like you pulled or torn cartilege in your chest. I had that happen my freshman year in college playing crack the whip on roller skates. Doctor said the only thing he could do for me was tape up my ribs - he also said breaking a rib would have been less painful.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Not sure what other symptoms you may have, but check out 'pleurisy' on web md and see if those don't match your syptoms. I had this a number of years ago (6 or 7?) and remember it was very painful. It definitely felt like someone sitting on your chest...

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Can pleurisy hurt at the top of your chest...or is it further down where most of your lungs are? Some of the symptoms seem to be the same as pleurisy (& actually my mum asked if I had it) except the pain is really high up & it doesn't always hurt when I breathe (just sometimes). It also seems to get worse when I drive the car but gets better when I lie down.

I can't get in to see a Dr until Monday (argh).

Hopefully it's not pleurisy - I *really* don't want to be spreading it round the family

Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Registered Users

profile gallery send pm

Please go get checked out. The symptoms of heart attacks in women are very different than those from men, and you can't be too careful. It could be something as simple as a gas bubble, but there's no sense in takng chances.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

Just an update...I went to the Dr yesterday (first appt they could fit me in).

He diagnosed me with intercostal joint pain. Essentially, I've pulled a muscle at the top of my torso - he poked my ribcage & it hurt like nothing else right over one of the intercostal muscles. Fun, fun, fun!

So pain relief & rest is supposed to be the order of the day & I should heal soon.

Thanks to everyone for your help

Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Diamond Member

profile gallery send pm

I hope you feel better soon!