At first, I planned to only talk about scrapbooking about, well, scrapbooking. But then I thought, many of us crafty souls can’t stop at one. Digital scrapbooking, sewing, crochet, painting, jewelry-making, card-making, paper scrapbooking, home decor projects – if you love one craft, chances are you’ve at least dabbled in a few more. It’s a slippery slope.
But it can be hard to know how to document these crafty adventures. I’ve brainstormed a few ideas to get you started capturing this part of your life – and it’s a very big part for most of us! I challenge you to turn one or all of these ideas into a scrapbook layout or ten about your crafty hobbies.
1. Document where you find inspiration. Do you browse Pinterest for your next knitting project? Stroll through the galleries for digital scrapbooking ideas? Or do you prefer flipping through a home decor magazine or jewelry idea book? How do you decide what to make next?
2. Photograph the process. How do you start? Are you a messy crafter or do you clean up as you go? Some of my favorite shots are the “in the middle” ones, where I capture what my workspace and project looks like half-completed.
3. List your supplies. Do you have a favorite brand, tool, etc.?
4. Find great light to photograph the finished product (if it’s a physical item). Look for natural, even, indirect lighting. If possible, try setting up a little photo shoot outside on a cloudy day. Set your item on a contrasting background, and use a tripod to ensure clear, crisp photos. Take lots of pictures!
5. Consider why you craft – just for fun? Something you enjoyed as a child, or a more recent hobby? Do you craft by yourself or with a friend, take classes, etc.? Do you sell your crafts? All of these are great jumping-off points for a layout!
6. Scrapbook those stories! I recently bought a few fun kits all about crafting, scrapping, and handiwork. I can’t wait to start documenting this important, creative part of my life!
I would love to see any of your pages documenting your own scrapbooking and other crafting!