Graphic created with Hello, Goodbye: elements by Michelle Godin
For most of us (at least in the Northern Hemisphere!), August signals the end of fun-filled, sun-soaked summer days and the beginning of that back-to-school rush. Are you tired of scrapping pool photos and vacation snapshots? Need a little fresh inspiration before fall arrives, bringing school, cooler weather, fall festivals, and the holiday season?
You’ve come to the right place. First up, a list of August-inspired photo opportunities and journaling prompts. Then a few layouts to get those creative juices flowing. Finally, a few of my favorite end of summer/back to school digital scrapbooking products.
Photography Ideas for August
- The last swim before winterizing the pool, or before the public pool closes
- The last few items on your summer bucket list
- Back-to-school shopping (photograph the overflowing bins of supplies, the enthusiastic advertising campaigns, etc.)
- Kids modeling new clothes
- Evening trip to the ice cream shop
- The ice cream truck
- Playing outside at dusk
- Sleeping in
- Enjoying a late breakfast as a family
- Your favorite part of summer
- Your child(ren)’s favorite part of summer
- Thoughts on children going “back to school”: Are you excited? Sad? How about their feelings?
- Your own back-to-school memories
- Review your summer bucket list
- What will you miss most about summer?
- What are you looking forward to most about fall?
- Compare the cost of school supplies “then and now”
- Which do you prefer: Grill or crockpot?
- Ice-cold lemonade or hot spiced cider?
- Sunshine or rain?
If you have a child moving into middle school this year, Meghan Mullens created a kit just for you. I could also imagine this kit being used for pages about being “in between” summer and fall.
To cover your all-about-me pages, Traci Reed put out this gorgeous, elegant, feminine kit in the perfect late summer/early fall color palette. I think it’s just right for older teens, college students, and, of course, scrapping about yourself!
I couldn’t resist one more kit by both Traci and Meghan, all about heading back to school. Are your kids ready to hit the books?
I loved the fresh colors and doodled style of this book-themed kit. Scrap about your summer reading list (how many did you get through?), school reading list, going back to school, or even lounging by the pool with a book (my favorite summer activity!).
Isn’t the title of Rachel Young’s element pack spot on? “It’s Time” – time for summer to end, time to prepare for fall. I particularly love her “This was fun” card.
If you still have a beach or fishing trip planned, Paula Kesselring’s fun kit has you covered. Tin cans, vintage images, toy sharks, and bubbles – so versatile!
And finally, I can’t get enough of the gorgeous, burnished colors in this kit by River Rose. Makes me think of Indian summer days, relaxation, cruising with the top down, all things late summer.
I hope your summer was filled with fun, family, excitement and rest, sun and water, playtime and downtime. And I wish you a happy fall!